The NRL says it is not Big Brother – but after gagging coaches, they have now taken their ability to influence what fans are seeing on television to another level.
The NRL is now requesting information on topics to be discussed by the experts on panel shows before they go to air. Program rundowns have been requested by the NRL for shows such as 100% Footy on Channel Nine and NRL 360 on Fox Sports.
Producers of those shows have been asked to have discussions with media spin doctors at head office as the game’s bosses seek to control the narrative, particularly when it comes to refereeing and bunker issues.
The requests are to find out exactly what the programs are planning to discuss.
It’s smart from the NRL. They used the magazine shows to reinforce the rules around high tackles after some went unpunished last round. But, unfortunately, the message was not delivered correctly on the night by Fox Sports, leading to the hysteria the NRL was trying to avoid – and leaving NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo to correct the information on the same program.
I understand the NRL’s desire to control the narrative in the game, particularly when it comes to officiating, because mistakes are made. Even in commentary last week, Fox Sports callers were telling viewers that a player could retrospectively be sent to the sin bin if a player was ruled out of game due to a high shot. That is not correct.
Nine Network commentators Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns.Credit: NRL Photos
But regardless of the potential for errors to be broadcast, the media companies should politely tell the NRL to stick to running the game and dealing with the multitude of issues that need addressing.
The concern is that if they are allowed to have input on what is being prepared for the fans, how long before some of the game’s loudest and most respected voices, such as Phil Gould, Paul Gallen, Cameron Smith, Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns on Channel Nine, and Gorden Tallis and Matthew Johns on Fox, are told to go easy on the NRL?
Particularly with a broadcast rights negotiation about to commence.
The opinions of journalists have already been compromised. A senior News Corp reporter said on air he felt hamstrung when it came to giving an honest view on the Las Vegas experiment because he had been flown to the US by the NRL.
Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould has often been critical of the NRL.Credit: Getty Images
“Conversations with our broadcast partners have occurred over many years and are part of our contractual obligations to provide them with accurate information regarding events, themed rounds and on field matters,” an NRL spokesperson said.
The opinions of some of the game’s biggest names scare the suits at league HQ. If they are restricted in those views, the panel shows should pack up and let the networks air reruns of Skippy. If the NRL wants to produce television shows, they should make their own. Or they can bring back the Graham Annesley hour, which has been dumped by the NRL.
Smear and loathing
Manly do not want emails detailing their negotiations with Daly Cherry-Evans to be made public because they will expose the basis for the smear campaign DCE has spoken about.
Cherry-Evans has nothing to hide, and while he will toe the company line and continue to dedicate himself to the Sea Eagles, if emails detailing negotiations were made public it would not be him who would look bad.
Daly Cherry-Evans (right) talked about a smear campaign against him following his side’s win over Parramatta on Sunday.Credit: Getty Images
There are questions to be asked internally at Manly about the negotiations with DCE.
One major line of inquiry must be the accuracy with which the negotiations were detailed in the emails. We have put this to the Sea Eagles, and they did not want to comment.
What we can say is that Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn is of the firm view an offer was put to Cherry-Evans well in advance of the knee-jerk offer after it was revealed he was leaving the club.
“I have seen the emails, and we put forward a firm number in November last year, so to suggest we didn’t is wrong,” Penn told me. “They just wanted more.”
Manly co-owner Scott Penn with Sea Eagles skipper Daly Cherry-Evans in 2023.Credit: Getty Images
The DCE camp disputes this. There was an offer being prepared and an amount of money discussed, but it was never formalised, and no offer was made by Manly. We put that to Penn.
“Danny, I don’t want to go into the specifics of the negotiations,” he said. “We definitely put forward a strong offer, and they were clear they wanted more. We are not able to get to the number they are seeking, therefore respect their decision to go to market.”
Manly are still of the view this is about money. It’s really about respect.
Sea Eagles chief executive Tony Mestrov has been singled out as the person DCE was referring to when he spoke in the press conference following the clash with the Eels on Sunday about a smear campaign. Penn said he had no concerns about Mestrov.
“Tony is firmly part of our plans,” he said.
Mestrov won’t make any more media appearances. It is significant that he was removed as a guest from NRL 360. The suggestion is that Penn pulled him out of that appearance and another on a podcast.
“Tony and I were totally on the same page that enough had been said, and we didn’t need to comment any further,” Penn said. “Therefore, we politely declined the opportunities.”
Mestrov does have the support of Fox Sports and News Corp, where he has many allies. He is close enough with Fox Sports boss Steve Crawley to phone through an offer he said he was going to make to Cherry-Evans, rather than make it to his captain directly. He also has close relationships with other News Corp executives.
Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold and CEO Tony Mestrov.Credit: James Brickwood
Stranded Dolphin?
Here could be an interesting spin-off from Cherry-Evans’ looming Sea Eagles exit. Rival clubs are watching very closely to see where he ends up, and should he somehow finish up playing at the Dolphins, their halfback, Isaiya Katoa, will suddenly become a player of real interest.
Katoa is a genuine halfback in the classic game-managing style and, while he’s under contract until the end of 2028, there is talk the former Penrith junior would like to return to Sydney one day. The Dolphins’ interest in Cherry-Evans is doing little to make Katoa want to stay up north for a long period of time.
Katoa is considered a future Origin player when Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses hang up their rep boots. It is a situation that is worth keeping an eye on.
Could Isaiya Katoa be collateral damage if Daly Cherry-Evans heads north?Credit: Getty Images
Seibold and strong
The rumours and smear surrounding Cherry-Evans’ Manly departure have claimed other victims, including Manly coach Anthony Seibold.
It has been reported that Seibold and Tony Mestrov are best mates and somehow working against DCE. They definitely have a working relationship, but to report that they attended each other’s weddings and even had a role in the ceremonies is rubbish. They played a few games against each other in England and have since worked together at Manly.
Not so long ago, it was reported that Seibold stormed out of a meeting with Mestrov as they attempted to negotiate a new contract. That doesn’t suggest a close friendship.
Daly Cherry-Evans and Anthony Seibold at Manly training.Credit: Rhett Wyman
Seibold has a good working relationship with Cherry-Evans and the pair respect each other at that level. This column reported that Seibold wasn’t at Cherry-Evans’ recent wedding, which is a fact, but we spoke to the Manly coach before writing that and he wasn’t concerned about being left off the invitation list, given the pair had not known each other for long at that stage. He said he would not have expected an invitation to something as private as a wedding.
Seibold remains unaffected by all the talk, as he has been through much worse as Broncos coach when he had to deal with his own smear campaign, which was all over social media. That had a genuine impact on him and his family, but it also toughened him up to be able to deal with the kind of stuff that’s being reported now.
The great Australian stream
One of the most significant figures in rugby league was at Accor Stadium on Friday night and nobody knows a thing about him. Doing a five-star tour at the game were league heavyweights ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, NRL chief Andrew Abdo and Foxtel boss Patrick Delany. In their company was Shay Segev, the chief executive of streaming giant DAZN, which recently bought Foxtel. He will be a key player as the NRL tries and do a record deal for its next broadcast deal.
Vow of silence
Payne Haas wants to avoid the contract circus that was part of his last negotiation. His agent, Ahmad Merhi, is refusing to discuss the topic, saying he is on a media ban. Which may be a first for the game.
Parra-dise in Vegas
There have been whispers Parramatta are in the running to join the likes of the Dragons and the Bulldogs in Las Vegas for next year’s season openers. Eels players are being told of plans for their club to go.
Critta in control
Stephen Crichton is the coolest of characters, but even the usually hard-nosed media were impressed on Tuesday. The Bulldogs had music blaring out of a boom box, making it hard for the TV crews to get clean audio. Crichton reached into his pocket, clicked a remote and brought silence to his presser.
NRL is Live and Free on Channel 9 & 9Now