Cruz Azul have sacked head coach Ricardo “Tuca” Ferretti after an early Leagues Cup exit in the round of 32 against Charlotte FC.
The decision to part ways with Ferretti was made “on the basis of results obtained in recent weeks,” the Mexican club said in a statement.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)
Following three defeats at the start of the Liga MX season, Cruz Azul lost 2-1 in their Leagues Cup group stage opener last month against Inter Miami, who secured their victory thanks to a dramatic game-winning goal from Lionel Messi in the 94th minute.
Narrowly securing an entry into the knockout round through penalties against Atlanta United, Cruz Azul then fell to Charlotte in the round of 32 last Thursday in a second consecutive penalty shootout.
After the defeat, the Brazilian coach argued that Liga MX teams are no longer dominant over MLS clubs.
“Many still think that Mexico continues to be the giant in the region. That no longer exists, it is totally over,” said Ferretti. “There are no giants in this region.”